September 1, 2011

Apocalypse surviving AR build...

I have come to the conclusion that I need an AR-15. It seems that this is the optimal firearm of an apocalypse. Movies these days (sources of absolute truth) have taught me that if I am prepared with the right tools, I can survive. So with this in mind, I need to build an appropriate rifle that will suit my needs for any type of apocalypse.

Lets talk basics. There are several parts that make up an AR-15, and those are separated into two sections, an upper and a lower. Complete uppers and lowers attach to one another by two take down pins, and uppers and lowers are usually interchangeable, with the exception of some Colt receivers. The lower is comprised of the lower receiver (serialized part which is the actual "gun" part), lower parts kit (trigger, internal parts, pistol grip), and stock assembly (stock, buffer tube, buffer spring, buffer). The upper is comprised of the upper receiver, BCG - bolt control group (bolt housing, bolt, firing pin), charging handle, barrel, gas system, forend (rail system or hand guard), and muzzle device. There are many different companies that supply these parts and so if you piece one together, there are thousands of combinations ranging from budget builds to one-off customs that cost several thousands of dollars. Or you can buy a complete rifle from one manufacturer.

I am going the route of buying separate parts and assembling one myself. With the exception of some specific wrenches (remedied by buying an armor's wrench) and a torque wrench, assembly can be done with tools found at home. I am looking forward to putting one together not only to save money, but to know the ins and outs of building and maintaining an AR-15.

My AR-15
To survive any type of apocalypse, you need something that can adapt to whatever situation there is. Because there are many different types of apocalypses (I Am Legend type, zombie, 21 Days Later type, terminators, etc), I want an AR-15 that can adapt. One key part that will allow this is a rail system that has some good real estate to attach whatever accessory that is necessary. Whether you need a flashlight to see in the dark when avoiding terminators, laser sights to make quick work of shooting zombies from the hip while trying to keep them from eating your friend's brain, a scope to hunt wild animals when food supplies run out, or a foregrip to make sure you can maintain a steady aim when shooting because you need to make each shot count or else Billy gets eaten by a new species of mutant squirrels, each one can be mounted on a rail system and ready to use.

The AR-15 that I am planning to build will consist of the following:

  • Forged upper and lower receivers (there are billet receivers, but they are new and expensive)
  • A bolt control group that is either chrome plated or has the Fail Zero coating on it to reduce malfunctions
  • Mid length gas system
  • 12" rail system
  • 14.5" barrel with pinned muzzle device that brings the barrel to 16" (legal purposes, I don't want to deal with the paperwork of having a short barrel rifle)
  • Adjustable stock
  • Foregrip - either Magpul's AFG or RVG
  • Flip up sights
  • 1-4 power scope - these are great for close encounters, but can still take out targets at far distances 
  • Magazines - Magpul PMAGS - depending on the type of apocalypse, I will need at least 20
  • Good sling - when you need to flee from zombies, having to carry your gun in your hands will slow you down and that is never a good thing, except for your friends, because you will be the one to get eaten and not them
There are many different manufactures for each of these parts, so the fun part is deciding which ones to go with and how much I want to spend. I want to do a budget build, but there are some parts that I am willing to spend the extra money for. Having cheap stuff can end up costing you more in the long run, and you want reliable parts when there is only your gun between you and the group of mole people after your eyes.




*Side note* 
Although I speak of zombies, terminators, mutant squirrels, and mole people, I do want to say that these are just possible worst case scenarios. The reality is that having a good AR will equal years of enjoyment and if necessary the means of protecting yourself and your family. I love the idea of home protection, but the purpose of this particular gun will not be for protecting my family. I am not worried that if I don't have this gun my family will not be safe. I am not one of those gun enthusiasts that cram 2nd amendment stuff down people's throats or say that everyone needs a basement bomb shelter full of guns because you never know what is going to happen. I enjoy firearms for recreational use and if there ever is a zombie apocalypse, then I will be able to use my firearms to protect my family from having their brains eaten by the neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment