August 11, 2011

My Truck Works Again!

We went on vacation this summer to Virginia to visit my people for about a month and a half. We had tons of fun, but when we got back, the second after I finished unloading the car I went to start my truck. I have a great 1995 Ford Ranger that has been very good to me over the years. I got it when I was 16 and since then it has held a special place in my heart. It even waited for me while I was on my mission. Anywho, so I went to start it and nothing happened. I figured that this would happen because it had been sitting for a month and a half, and it did the same thing a two years ago when we went back east. So I cleaned off the battery posts of that nasty white corrosion stuff and tried again. Nothing, I even tried to jump it and it didn't have enough juice to start it. So I went down to my favorite store, Harbor Freight, and picked up a battery charger. I was so happy on the way home thinking this will charge my battery and I will be driving around town the next day. FALSE, it turned out that the battery was dead as a door nail. It would not keep a charge and the battery charger was not the solution.

So today I finally broke down and headed down to Les Schwab and picked up a battery. While I had the battery out I also changed the terminals to some shinny new color coded red and black ones. Once I attached the new terminals I saw the light turn on under the hood and that was a sight for sore eyes. I slammed the hood down and hopped into the cab and started the engine. It choked up at the beginning but then with a few revs it calmed down and started purring like a cat. Now I get to clean it out (mostly dusting) and get it back in action. Best day ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment