August 1, 2011

New P250

I came across the P250 while looking through some online gun stores and was amazed at the price. It's several hundreds less than the other Sig models and so at first I thought that it was a new style of their .22 Mosquito. It turned out to be their version of a polymer framed handgun. It looked great overall, but I had one reservation with it, it has a DAO trigger, which stands for Double Action Only trigger. This means that with each pull of the trigger it sets the hammer back and releases it. Once the first shot is taken, the hammer doesn't lock back for the second shot. This produces a very long trigger pull each time you fire, sort of like a revolver. I went into my local gun store and tested out the trigger and to my surprise it was very nice. It is very smooth and I know exactly when it will break. It is going to take some time getting use to it because it is very different than any of my other guns, especially my 1911. My 1911 has a Single Action Only, where it relies on either my racking the slide or the first initial shot to lock the hammer back. The only thing that happens when I squeeze the trigger is it releases the hammer.
I wanted a compact 9mm and so I started looking around for the best deal I could. I was only looking for the base model (black slide with contrast sights), I ended up getting an upgraded version with their stainless slide and it even came with Sig's SIGLITE night sights. After my purchase, I raced home so I could get to know it a little bit better. It came from the factory with a born on date of early February 2011 and it was covered in a generous amount of oil. Once that was removed I started to break it down to get a better understanding of the internals and to clean it some more.

The genius of this gun is the firing mechanism. It is all contained into one piece that fits snugly in the grip module. This firing mechanism can be switched out and installed into a full size, compact, and sub compact grip module with respective full, compact, and sub compact slides. Really, it is several guns in one. 

Range Time:

Last Tuesday I was able to take it out for the first time. I went with my buddy Greg and put 100 rounds through it. I was shooting basic range ammunition, Remington UMC FMJ. It wasn't a lot, but it gave me the opportunity to test out the DAO trigger which turned out to be great. After the first 10 rounds or so I was able to identify when the trigger would break. I was able to put 15 rounds, back to back, in an area of about 3" x 3" at 20 feet. I felt like I had more control over the gun because I had more time to adjust while pulling the trigger. After some warm up shots I tried rapid firing, and I definitely need more practice controlling my follow up shots. After a few double shot drills, the two shots were almost on top of each other, but not exactly where I wanted them. I guess I will have to go to the range more :) .
Along with shooting my new P250, I took my 1911 and had fun with that one too. It was an adjustment going back and forth, but it performed excellent as usual. To sum up the trip to the range, I love the DAO trigger system, limited recoil, very accurate with range ammo, extremely fun to shoot. I can't wait to get back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment