February 4, 2012

AR-15!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok so i am very excited to start building my AR. This will be my first ever build and I can't wait. Because there are thousands of different setups imaginable, I wanted to do something that would bridge some gaps and be more of a multi-use gun. I love competitive shooting and wouldn't mind getting into something like that locally, I love being outdoors and hunting, and I love shooting at the range with friends and family. Now, taking all that into consideration, there are a few ways of making a rifle that can easily do all three. Looking at the first, the gun needs to be lightweight but accurate. This means a lightweight frame/furniture and a good barrel. Secondly, the gun needs to be optic friendly and accurate. Lastly it needs to be comfortable to shoot lots of rounds at a time and easy to clean after the long range sessions. With all these in mind, I think I have come up with a great combination. Here is a list of parts that I am using:

LAR Skeleton-ized Lower Receiver
Magpul MOE grip and stock
LAR Upper receiver
RGUNS NiB Bolt Control Group
Troy VTAC Extreme 13" Rail
Magpul MBUS front and rear sights

Details:
LAR Skeleton-ized Lower Receiver and A3/M4 Upper
I looked around for a while online at several different lowers and they all seemed basically the same, except for external writing/designs. I was at a gun show here in Utah today and I came across one vendor that was local to Utah. They are known for their 50 cal rifles, but they also make AR parts. They had a bunch of lowers for sale and I asked what they looked like because at this point I wanted something that looked cool. They guy handed me two different generic types and then he handed me the skeleton-ized one. It was a limited run and wouldn't be available for a while afterwards. It was priced reasonably so I went about my business looking around but it kept popping into my mind. It was lightweight and I didn't have to order it and go through that whole process. So I went back and picked it up with a matching upper receiver. The uppers they had were standard and at a very good price too. So 10 minutes later after some paperwork I had in my hands the primary building blocks of an AR-15.

Magpul MOE furniture:
Palmetto State Armory has a great deal with a lower build kit. This is a budget build at heart so whenever I can save some money, I have to do it. They provide a complete lower build kit including the stock assembly and stock. They have the standard A2 grip and M4 stock, but I opted for the Magpul MOE kit which includes their MOE grip stock and trigger guard. This will give me everything I need to complete the stripped lower receiver.

RGUNS NiB BCG:
I really want a low maintenance gun (I guess I could have gone for an AK47, but where is the fun in that?) and anything that will help with that is a must. Nickel Boron coating is a new firearm coating that boasts easier cleaning and limited lubing of moving parts. I looked at the several different products and their reviews and there wasn't a single negative comment. I found a good deal with RGUNS and their BCG which is both MPI tested and Shot peened, and then coated by Fail Zero with NiB. I am probably still going to lube the working parts, but I hope it lives up to the hype.

Troy VTAC Extreme 13" rail
This is a lightweight rifle length rail system. I wanted a forend to cover the mid length gas system and give me something to hold onto. I like the thumb over bore grip shooting method and I already have a Magpul AFG2 to go with the rail. I like the VTAC because it just has the single top rail with three smaller movable rail sections. I don't want the extra weight of unused rails and it gives it a streamlined look. It uses a proprietary barrel nut which is nice because I don't have to buy a standard barrel nut wrench because they send one of theirs along with the rail. One last thing that I like about is is that because of its length, it gives a good sight picture with iron sights. I don't plan on using an optic for a while, so I will be sporting the irons for a while and I want the best setup I can have.

Magpul MBUS
There are better sights (more expensive) out there but at the price and quality of products coming out of Magpul these days, I will gladly buy them and use them. The new Gen 2 MBUS's have a lower profile when folded which is nice when I will be using optics.

These parts are what I have already bought/ordered. The only things left are related to the barrel and gas system. I still haven't found exactly what I want, but hopefully I will soon because I am terrible with waiting. I want a barrel with a mid length gas system because it has a softer feel when shooting. I really don't want a lightweight barrel because I want something with a little bit more accuracy and endurance. I am looking at some stainless steel match barrels right now, but i can't decide on a SS or a CHF Cold Hammer Forged barrel. Also I can't decide on a muzzle device. I want a compensator not a flash suppressor. I don't want to spend the 150 on a Battle Comp, but the Spikes Tactical Dynacomp does not kill the muzzle flash like a Battle Comp does and it has a pretty large muzzle blast. I also don't want a single port comp because I don't want to deafen those around me when I shoot. Maybe I can scrimp and pinch my pennies and get the Battle Comp.

Anywho, this is just the tip of the iceberg. I should be getting some parts in this coming week so when they do I will start assembling everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment