February 28, 2012

It's Here!

I finished my homework around 3am and finally got to sleep, only to be awakened by my daughter around 7:30 wanting some cereal and to watch some Dora the Explorer. Lets just say that I am barely functioning right now, but I have enough energy/adrenaline left over from my excitement over my case coming. My daughter really wanted to play with the case so she is in most of the pictures. Well lets get this party started. 

Here are some overall pictures of it closed. I was glad when I took it out of the box and it was a true desert tan color and not yellowish like other tan colors. I hope the pictures do the color justice because the ones online are atrocious. 



I knew this was going to be big but dang is it big. I am glad though because I have my rifle, shotgun, and two handguns to put in it. Like I said before I really like the color and it feels good to carry. The handles are nice and don't put too much stress on the hands and the main handle is wide enough to grab it with two hands when setting it up on something high. The wheels roll smoothly and I doubt I will have any trouble getting this thing around.

Ok here are some pictures of the foam inside before I cut it all up. The foam is very rigid, but it isn't like closed cell foam. I would say that it is stiffer than normal upholstery foam, plus there are three layers of it which will protect whatever I put inside the case.



The last picture I have the middle foam layer out because I had already started cutting, but depending on how thick your guns are, you could leave out the middle layer and put your stuff in loose and it will get squished between the top and bottom foam layers. 

Ok, so once I got everything arranged how I wanted it in the case, I reversed everything because after I outline and cut it I don't want the outlines showing. When you outline stuff they recommend using chalk but I used a sharpie and you are supposed to cut inside the outline.Once you finish cutting you flip it over an you have your cutouts minus the outlines. So here is a picture of the finished foam. You can see the electric carver in the background. It worked out okay but it was a little hard to make turns with it and to stay perpendicular. I will say that it doesn't look very professional like, but maybe down the road when I have a larger collection of guns, I will go back and order new foam and make a hot wire cutter. For now it looks great to me and does what it is supposed to do.



I managed to fit in all my guns and I even have room for growth (red dot/low power scope). It took around 20 minutes to cut everything out and I have all the cutouts because I can reuse them if I want to change up the arrangement. All you do is put the cutouts back in where they go and put the cut layer on the bottom and use the bottom layer as a new canvas, or glue the pieces back in and make that the new top layer and use the top layer as the new canvas.

Here is the finished product with all my guns in it. They fit pretty snug and they definitely aren't going anywhere. I might have to shave off some of the top layer for the side saddle on my shotgun and my earmuffs.





I will tell you that with this thing fully loaded it is a beast! I think the empty weight is around 24 lbs, but with the addition of 4 guns it got a lot heavier. But that is no big deal because the handles are nice and it has some great wheels on the bottom. I am very satisfied with it so far and I can't wait to use it on some future outings. I think I am going this weekend with a buddy of mine who is a local sheriff, so I might be going to the police range which would be amazing. 

One last set of pictures and then I am done. Because this thing is so big there is a lot of real estate for stickers and whatnot. So being that I got some with my AR parts, I think I am going to coat this baby with a generous helping of stickers. I only have a few right now, but there is a gun show coming up that I want to go to just to get stickers. I am pretty set with gun stuff already so it will be fun to go and look at everything and be on the hunt for some good stickers.



No comments:

Post a Comment