February 28, 2012

Up late and need a break...Gun Case!!

Well I am up late doing some homework that should have been done last week. It hasn't sunk in yet that I can do homework days before it is due. Anywho, my brain is hurting and I need a little break and there isn't anything better than talking about gun stuff. As you know I have just finished building my sweet AR. I took it to an indoor range last weekend to test fire and break in the barrel, and that was a great experience. I was a little bit nervous about it because it was a built gun from a bunch of individual parts and it was my first AR build. I loaded it up and it performed better than I could have dreamed. I only shot around 40 rounds, but it was enough to break in the barrel (which really wasn't necessary because it was lapped at the factory).

Well now that I have this beautiful gun, I can't just have it resting against my dresser. I already have my shotgun there ready to go if there are any unwanted guests in the house, but that and the AR is just too much for that corner. I was looking at some gun safes at the store the other day and realized that I didn't even have a good range case to take it to and from the range. So I decided I needed something that could function as a range case and something that I could lock up. I have heard great things about Pelican cases and so I ordered one. It is their Pelican 1750 double long gun case. It should be coming this afternoon according to UPS's tracking info, so once it gets here I will post some pictures. I got the desert tan version rather than the black one because I wanted something a little bit different, and who knows, maybe down the road I will have a black/tan gun. It comes with 3 layers of solid foam and I am very excited to cut it to fit my guns.

This case should be big enough for me to pack away my AR, Mossberg 500, and both handguns minus magazines. I was debating on whether or not to put those in there, but they are going to be with my ammo/tool bag. I have been looking online for some how-to's on cutting the foam and the most popular method is spending around 50 bucks and making a hot wire scroll saw looking thing. Well I am definitely not going that route because I have already spend a lot on the gun and this new case. I also saw a few people use an electric carving knife and it looked like it worked very well. And as luck would have it we got one for Christmas! Yay for random kitchen appliance gifts! Well I think that is about all the time I have to dink around before I need to get back to work.

Pictures to follow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment